Let’s face it, meeting new people and making new friends is hard. We’re all busy, and it’s not easy to just come across people with similar interests.
The key to maximizing your chances of meeting new people, for friendship or to fuck tonight, is to keep your eyes open and your head up (smartphones down!).
Be prepared to make eye contact, smile and say hello! Half of the battle of spontaneously meeting new people as you go about your day is to be open to the possibility of it happening. Don’t think of all the reasons why meeting someone won’t happen – focus on the opportunities all around for it to happen for you!
Before setting out to meet new people it is important to realize and remember the following about yourself:
- Be patient instead of pushy Don’t be too disappointed if your decision to make some new friends doesn’t result in heaps of friends straight away. Making a network of friends is quite a slow process, but if you’re patient, you’ll end up with a whole crew of people who are lucky to be your friend.
- Try not to bitch Whether you’re a guy or a girl, it can sometimes be hard to resist building friendships based on a shared dislike of someone else. But be aware that this can make you seem like an untrustworthy friend, so it can backfire if you’re not careful.
If you are completely out of ideas where to meet new people, this list is guaranteed to get you off Tinder and out and about meeting new people.
- The DMV Some say there is no place on earth more frustrating than the DMV which makes it the perfect place to win over the heart of anyone. Your common frustration over the endless incompetence of DMV employees will allow for the ideal opening line, as nothing bonds people together like shared trauma. Anyone can connect on being annoyed over the same issue, so head on over to the DMV.
- Improv comedy classes Even if you don’t fancy yourself a comedian or an actor, taking some improv classes is something you will never regret. Here are the benefits: 1) you’ll feel more comfortable speaking in front of people; 2) you’ll open yourself up to new things; 3) you’ll meet fun, social people; 4) you’ll spend 3 hours laughing.
- Gym There are two opinions about meeting people at the gym. For hardcore gym rats the gym is for getting it in, drinking your post workout shake and hitting the showers. But if you want to meet people there are tons of opportunities. The gym is generally a positive environment with people trying to better themselves. So it is ripe with opportunities to strike up a conversation with the person on the treadmill next to you. CrossFit is one of the more popular fitness trends that encourages fellowship amongst members and is guaranteed to help you meet people who share the same interest as you do, getting swole.
- Airplanes Scoring a new friend on an airplane is anything but a guarantee — but when luck is with you, and you’re planted next to (or even near) someone who you want to be friends with and you’d like to get to know better, your seat is worth more than a first class ticket to China. You’ve got anywhere from one to 20 hours to win them over, and they can’t run. Break the ice by asking for their thoughts on the peanuts, or by offering him or her tasty baked goods from home that can replace her airplane-quality gruel. Airports and airplanes are prime places for quick hookups Be careful, though: One conversational misstep, and you’ll be spending the next 12 awkward hours wanting to jump out the plane window.
- Sporting events This one seems pretty common. Many people often join sports teams to meet new people. One of my classmates joined a beach volleyball league for 80 dollars for the entire summer and as a result has made a ton of new friends. I would recommend you find a team with people who don’t take their sports too seriously, but are just out to have a good time. Even if you are awful at sports, like me, sign up!
- Do regular things Going to the grocery store or doing laundry is not fun but it is something everyone needs to do from time to time. How about going to a different grocery store this week? Maybe the butcher over at Trader Joe’s wants to be your friend. While you’re there grab the free food samples that most stores offer and talk to others about how good the food is.
- Talk to strangers While this might seem obvious, if you go to a bar/club on a weekend you’ll see just how afraid people are of talking to new people. Don’t worry, get a couple drinks in you and start chatting! Most people only ever talk to the people they came with. Talking to strangers is a good thing. I have occasionally made a good friend or two by talking to strangers. While you might not form the greatest bonds in the world talking to strangers, it gets you really comfortable with being social. The old rule that you were taught as a child “don’t talk to strangers” is something you should forget. With the right energy, you’ll be amazed how much people will enjoy talking to you.
- And then the obvious…Online Dating Sites: If you are looking to meet someone in a romantic capacity, online dating sites can be a great way to open up your options. My honest opinion is that the options above are better because they take the pressures of “dating” off of the interactions, and seem much more natural. If you are dead set on meeting people online, then Match.com, Eharmony.com and obviously, Tinder are your best bets. . My personal favorite, Meetup.com blows all the cliche dating apps. Meetup is the world’s largest network of local groups. More than 9,000 groups get together in local communities each day. MeetUp claims there are over 90,000 meet ups this week alone. You could technically have plans to meet new people each day of the week. And the possibilities are endless. There are hiking groups, singing groups, cooking groups and groups for sports lovers. With MeetUp there is absolutely no way you will not meet new people. But of course if you’re just looking for a no strings or fuckbuddy relationship then we highly recommend trying instafuck (not to toot our own horn).
That’s it for now! Awesome list and I dare you NOT to find at least two ideas that suit your situation perfectly.
Remember, people are bored and no one listens to them. They’re desperate for someone like you to come and ask them questions about themselves.