A new dating trend is taking the world by storm, and you’re probably not oblivious to it. The trend is friends with benefits– which isn’t a one night stand, isn’t a friendship, but isn’t a relationship either. Sounds crystal clear right? No, but that’s the magic of it. Since it’s unclear what exactly friends with benefits is, that means there are no rules, and no rules usually mean no boundaries. Different people define this dating trend in various ways, which is great because one size does not fit all. People can mold their friends with benefits situation into something that works perfectly for them, but maybe not everyone. It’s light, it’s fun, there are no strings attached, and it’s full of good fuck book sex – what else could you ask for? For all of these reasons and more (which we will dive into momentarily) we are proclaiming once and for all that friends with benefits is better than relationships.
- The sex. Sex with your friend with benefits is hotter and more risque than sex with a partner. Why? Well, you both know that you’re only in it for the sex, which means you can experiment and get as weird as you want with it. It’s quite exhilarating knowing that you’re using this person for (consensual) sex and nothing more. It’s a different feeling than sex with your boyfriend or girlfriend, and since FWB never lasts long, the sex will never get old and will always be exciting.
- The freedom. Like I mentioned before, the awesome thing about friends with benefits is that there’s no strings attached and no rules. This means you can still play the field while having a side piece at home if that’s the way you roll. Variety is the spice of life, right? You won’t have anyone breathing down your back, blowing up your phone, telling you what you can and can’t do. You won’t have anyone sneaking through your phone or getting jealous about you flirting with other people in the club. Want a few days and nights without any contact? Go for it. You get the liberty to act like you’re single, but also have a guaranteed lover at the end of the night if you so please.
- You don’t need to cuddle or sleepover. If you and your friend with benefits are into cuddling, then more power to you. If you both don’t mind sleepovers together, then what’s the problem. But if you’re more of the hit it and quit it kind of people, FWB is perfect for that too. You don’t need to feel bad or awkward when you show them the door because cuddling and all that could be reserved just for relationships. After all you’re both just in it for the sex, so once the deed is done there’s no reason to try and make the moment last.
- No emotional shackles. More times than not, one person in a romantic relationship has more power. It’s sad, but brutally true. That’s what makes friends with benefits so much better – there is no such thing as power, so no one has more power than the other. That means you don’t have to deal with all of the relationship drama, the crying, the fighting, the negotiating or compromise. There’s no pressure to commit, to get engaged, to move in together, to get married. Who could say no to that setup? No one enjoys all of the bad crap that comes along with relationships, and with FWB, you can bypass all the BS and get straight to the good stuff.
- Minimal time commitment. A lot of people, especially working professionals and students, don’t have the time for a relationship. Hell, they don’t even have the energy for a relationship. That’s why friends with benefits is perfect for people who don’t want to commit a lot of time to something because the moments are fleeting and are only as frequent as you want them to be. You could go a full week without seeing your FWB, and decide to hit them up when you’re in the mood and nothing weird comes of it. If you’re more of the person who wants sex a lot during the week, that works too, you just need to know how to meet girls. It just depends on the person. The point is, there’s no set amount of time you need to see each other. They’re there when you want them and aren’t there when you don’t.
- There’s no expectations or room for commitment. What happens when your relationship isn’t working out? You break up and go through a messy and awful heartbreak. But when your friends with benefits isn’t working out, you simply tell them and move on. You don’t have to go through the crying, screaming, or try to stick around and make it work. No one is expecting to marry their FWB. If it isn’t working, it just isn’t, and that’s ok.
- Your FWB doesn’t have to fit all of your expectations. Have you ever been really into someone but decide against pursuing them for one reason or another? Usually, it’s because they’re hot but they have baggage or totally aren’t boyfriend or girlfriend material. Well, the good news is that these people you’d usually reject for a relationship partner are perfect for an FWB. Your friends with benefit doesn’t have to be perfect and doesn’t have to fit every expectation you have for a partner- because they aren’t going to be your partner. They’re simply going to be there for your sexual needs. But to start you friends with benefits relationship off on the right foot, it’s important to be able to find friends in the real world easily.
We hope that you took our list to heart and now understand why friends with benefits is so much better than relationships. FWB can honestly work for anyone, anywhere, but it is an ideal fit for young people and folks who don’t have a lot of time or desire to start anything serious. So what are you waiting for? Try out this new dating trend now or forever regret it.